Notes on Pantone’s Spring 2014 Color Palette vs. Available Yarn:
This post is the result of an entire evening spent scouring the internet for yarn colorways which live up to Pantone’s high standards. Granted, I did briefly get sidetracked looking at photos of Hitomi Shida’s breathtaking designs. But I also managed to look at all the colors for all the spring/summer (and a few fall/winter) yarns at quite a few yarn companies, including Koigu, Plymouth Yarn Co., Swan’s Island, Classic Elite Yarns, Rowan, Bergere, Knit PIcks, Blue Sky Alpaca’s, Churchmouse Yarn, JimmyBeanswool.com, and the list goes on.
Classic Elite Yarns swept the field this year, with the highest number of colors which are Pantone ready right out of the box. Unfortunately, they also have the smallest sample photos on the internet, so when I placed them into the slide show some major pixelation resulted.
They were followed by Knit Picks in second place, mostly because Knit Picks has so many different colors.
Compared to current colors, Pantone’s shades tend to be warmer – abandoning the green-blues entirely. The gray is a warm gray, and the lavenders are very red based making them incredibly difficult to match. I never did find an adequate match for the 2014 Color of the Year: Radiant Orchid. I ended up including three different colors which were all equally wrong: one is too dark, one is too pink, and one is too pale.
Finally, the labeling for each yarn is listed as follows:
- Yarn company
- Yarn Name
- Color Name and Number
- Pantone Number and Name
If you click on the photo when it comes up, you will automatically be directed towards the original website for the yarn.
Thanks, and Happy Knitting Ahead!
- Classic Elite: Naturally Soft Merino - Fawn 160 Matches Pantone 16-0000 "Paloma"
- Bergere de France: Sonora - Vapeur Matches Pantone 15-3920 "Placid Blue"
- Classic Elite: Solstice - Summer Sky 2347 Matches Pantone 15-3920 "Placid Blue"
- Classic Elite: Cottontail - Lagoon 7548 Matches Pantone 18-3949 "Dazzling Blue"
- Knit Picks: Wool of the Andes Super Wash - Grass (Available 3/15/14) Matches Pantone 18-6216 "Comfrey"
- Plymouth Yarn Co: Covington Item 550 - Cotton Sky 2005 Matches Pantone 15-6114 "Hemlock"
- Classic Elite: Seedling - Mint Disc 4581 Matches Pantone 18-6216 "Comfrey"
- Classic Elite: Naturally Soft Merino - Daisy Yellow 142 Matches Pantone 14-0852 "Freesia"
- Classic Elite: Cottontail - Orangini 7585 Matches Pantone 17-1360 "Celosia Orange"
- Knit Picks: Wool of the Andes Worsted Yarn - Firecracker (Available 2/6/14) Matches Pantone 18-0651 "Cayenne"
- Classic Elite: Solstice - Magenta Disc 2332 Matches Pantone 19-2428 "Magenta Purple"
- Blue Sky Alpacas: Alpaca Silk - Amethyst 129 Matches Pantone 18-3224 "Dazzling Orchid"
- Knit Picks: Palette - Lady Slipper 24573 Matches Pantone 18-3224 "Dazzling Orchid"
- Knit Picks: Palette Yarn - Hyacinth 23721 Matches Pantone 18-3224 "Dazzling Orchid"
- Classic Elite: Cottontail - Larkspur 5655 Matches Pantone 16-8328 "Violet Tulip"
- Classic Elite: Cottontail - Larkspur 5656 Matches Pantone 16-8328 "Violet Tulip"